Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:43:48 -0500
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Damieon Stark <visigoth@securitycentric.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Omnibook 6000 apm

--==_Exmh_2145244604P

Hi,

I mentioned this recently in a post to this list, along with a description of
how the sound fails to resume correctly, and cannot now be kldunload'd (since
sometime between early 4.3-STABLE & 4.4-RC).

No-one responded to that post, so I guess no-one knows anything about it, or
maybe it's already be done to death (I just re-subbed recently).

IIRC, the only one of the above problems that was a issue 4.2-STABLE >=
$VERSION <= 4.3-STABLE was the sound not working post-resume, and you could
get around that by re-kldloading it.

I'm seriously considering reverting to that version and XFree 3.3 - the
combination was rock-solid and the problems could at least be worked around.

You might try doing a 'halt' as opposed to 'reboot' or 'shutdown', and
power-cycling when it tells you to press any key to restart - this avoids the
'fsck'. I only remember about 30% of the time, but it's still better than
fsck'ing that 20Gb drive every time...

As an aside, if your Omnibook is the 6000 with a Rage, you'll probably
discover sooner-or-later the Rage 128 suspend-from-X issue too, which will
also wedge your machine completely, with similar symptoms to the new
hang-at-reboot ones. You might be interested in the patches described in:

	http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin%2F28026

which have been addressing the latter problem for me for some time now.

I do miss transparent suspend/resume though. My old 5700CTX Omnibook did that
flawlessly, sound and all.

Cheers,

AS

> Greetings,
>
> 	I am very excited about my new laptop, but have noticed a small issue...
>  ;)  On the off chance that someone already figured this one out... ( I have
> searched the archives for an answer, and though many omnibook issues are
> discussed, I didn't see this one....
>
> Every time I use the shutdown command (or reboot) the box hangs after syncing.
> It dies in a similar (but much more annyoying *fsck*) way upon suspend.  I am
> curious if anybody has had success with getting this box to suspend/shutdown.
> If so, please send me configs (kernel/bios) or any tricks which you had to
> use.... ;)
>
> TIA
>
> visigoth
>

> --
>
> Damieon Stark, CCSE
> Unix/Network Security Engineer

> 	Damieon Stark		| Microsoft: Where do you want to go today?
> e: visigoth@securitycentric.com	| Linux: Where do you want to go tommorow?
> 	p: 612.382.6945		| FreeBSD/Sun: Are you guys coming or what?
> 	pgp: 0xBE5D0C57		| http://www.sun.com/solaris - The . in .com
> 	pgp.mit.edu		| http://www.freebsd.org - The power to serve!
> I'll see your DMCA and raise you a First Amendment.
> http://www.anti-dmca.org

--==_Exmh_2145244604P

--==_Exmh_2145244604P--