Date:      20 May 2003 14:05:53 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Dave Bradshaw <dave_bradshaw@blueyonder.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome Problems

--=-n3fMMMuL4wi90F6qBbAw

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 12:26, Dave Bradshaw wrote:
> Dear All,
>=20
> This is probably not the place for this but the gnome people have not
> answered.

To whom did you send the email?  When?

> Last weekend I upgraded to 4.8 stable, since then every time I or the
> family log out of Gnome we just end up with a black screen as if the
> system has lost contact with the terminal, leaving the system in a
> useless state.  This then results in the system having to be powered
> off, though this is sometimes locked and I need to pull the power cord
> out the back. I am running Gnome 1.4.  All was working fine prior to the
> upgrade.

How are you logging into GNOME?  Are you using gdm or startx?

>=20
> Has anyone else experienced this and resolved the problem?

No.  My GNOME 1.4 -STABLE machine works fine.  I use gdm from /etc/ttys
to login to GNOME.

>=20
> I then thought maybe I should upgrade Gnome to Gnome 2.  I followed the
> instructions on the Gnome site with regards to upgrading from 1.4 to 2.=20
> Though when I run make install form the Gnome2 directory in /usr/ports
> this works fine until it tries to install Nautilus2 and fails with a
> libxml conflict though running portupgrade I get an =3D sign for both
> libxml and libxml2, so I assume I have the latest versions.

Can you send exact details of this "libxml conflict?"

>=20
> If anybody is able to help or require more information I can supply them
> with a list of packages installed on my system and the
> nautilus2-config.log that was created.=20

That and the output of the build would be helpful.

Joe

>=20
> Thanks in advance,
>=20