Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 02:36:53 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Ernie Elu <ernie@spooky.eis.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Aliases

On Feb 02, 1997 at 10:00:28PM, Ernie Elu wrote:
> in the past I have been running freebsd-2.1.6 and decided to upgrade one of
> my web servers to freebsd 2.2-GAMMA, the upgrade went fine except for 3
> single i/p aliases that I had that were all bound to ed0
>
> ie.
>
> ifconfig ed0 alias a.b.c.d netmask 0xffffffff
> ifconfig ed0 alias e.f.g.h netmask 0xffffffff
>
> etc.
>
> After rebooting with the 2.2-GAMMA kernel ony the first of the 3 aliases
> could be pinged. I played around for a while with no luck so I tried binding
> the 3 aliases to the lo device instead of ed0 and all worked fine.
>
> I am happy to leave it that way but I would like someone to share any ideas
> as to what happened between 2.1.6 and 2.2-GAMMA to make the original config
> break.

Strangely enough, I had exactly the opposite happen. With 2.1.5 and
the ed0 driver, adding an alias would often result in crashing the
system or it simply not working. i put them all on the loopback and
they worked fine from that point.

When I upgraded the system to 2.2-BETA (haven't gone to gamma yet),
I was able to put them back on the ed0 interface without experiencing
the same problems.

> The upgrade technique I used was to install all the 2.2-GAMMA source tree
> and do a make world then rebuild the kernel.

I did the same, with 2.2-BETA.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/