Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 16:56:39 +0200
From:      Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
To:        Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Previous Message on /etc/defaults

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Jonathan Smith wrote:

> The reason against it is that it makes it harder to go through and
> configure a fresh system.  As I had said, one of my favorite things
> was to have one file to go through and change what I needed to.

There are two approaches:

(1) Copy /etc/defaults/rc.conf to /etc/rc.conf, edit /etc/rc.conf and
    delete all unchanged lines from it.  (Here, the extra step is to
    delete the unchanged lines.  If most lines are unchanged, the
    second approach might be better.)

(2) Open two windows, one looking at the /etc/defaults/rc.conf and a
    text editor looking at an empty /etc/rc.conf.  Copy and paste all
    lines from /etc/defaults/rc.conf into /etc/rc.conf and change as
    appropriate.

Of course, the first time you do this it is more work.  But
considering that you can just keep /etc/rc.conf and don't have to
merge in the changes, this work is saved the next time you update.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.