Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 19:32:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>, Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, Chris Coleman <ccoleman@oreilly.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Card Recommendations

Brooks Davis writes:

| > Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com> has patches to enable crypto on the
| > cisco Aironet.  I've been quite happy with a cisco Aironet 342 PC Card
| > in my laptop.  And the Aironet PCI card doesn't need pccard to run, but
| > it can apparently get wedged (twice in four weeks for me) requiring a
| > reset :-(
|
| That's good news.  The hangs are a bit troubling though.  I can't tell
| what was used as the source of documentation for this driver, but if it
| was the Linux drivers, that may be an issue.  My Cisco rep said the
| Aironet people don't want anything to do with the current Linux drivers
| and don't recommend them at all.  They are supposidly going to release a
| new Linux driver around the first of the year.

Bill Paul's as the base driver.  I have the Aironet programing doc's, however,
they were somewhat incomplete for WEP.  The Linux drive did give me a hint in
that got it working.  I can't beleive they don't like the Linux driver.  Yes
I know the author Ben and have looked at the code to help debug the FreeBSD
driver (originaly it didn't work in infrastructure mode which I needed
at work so I made it work).  The Linux driver follows the Aironet
programing manual very closely including the sample code so either
they don't like their own code or something is lost in translation.  They
are also active on the Linux Aironet web site.  So I think this is "strange".

BTW I don't have the PCI version I just have a pccard verison in a PCMCIA
adapter for debugging and several co-workers running the Aironet driver at
work.

The WEP patches are at http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/an.patch.wep.  Apply
it at /usr/src.

It supports permanent and temporary keys.  I forget if I tested it with
all four permanent keys since it has been a while.  I have not tested
it with an access point yet.

Doug A.