Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 00:10:42 -0500
From:      WaiKin Wong <bugtraq@asan.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD crashes under load

At 10:04 AM 2/25/98 -0800, you wrote:
>The problem seems to be disk related.  There is no panic message in the
>log (or any message, for that matter); the machines simply spontaneously
>reboot, fail the filesystem check, and drop into single-user mode.  At
>this point, running fsck brings up a long list of duplicate inodes/files
>in the /usr slice. I would initially consider this to be problem with the
>drive; however, replacing the drive on one server didn't fix it, and
>another machine that was just added a week ago is starting to display this
>behavior as well.  This sort of thing should not be happening on a
>brand-new drive.

It might be a faulty motherboard.

I had all of the following symptoms reported. It appeared to be disk
related because the problems were more likely to be asserted by drive
activity.  Heat also caused problems by increasing likelyhood of reboots
occuring.

I've read that some motherboard manufacturers built boards that use
capacitors and other components that can degrade over time. This may be why
our machine functioned perfectly fine for months. And, even a motherboard
swap caused continual problems.

We eventually switched to a new board made by ASUS. The problems have
stopped completely.