Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 2020 10:57:21 +1000
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PC Card, gone in 13

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

On Tuesday, 18 August 2020 at  1:20:56 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> As discussed in the past, it's time to remove PC Card support. Not CardBus
> support, but PC Card support. this is the16-bit PCMCIA stuff from long ago.
> It relied on many 16-bit drivers that have since been removed from the
> tree. What remains is a shadow of its former self. There used to be two
> dozen or so drivers. This has dwindled down to 9, none of which are
> especially relevant (and all of which have replacement hardware available).

I still have an old machine with PCMCIA hardware.

> The drivers to be removed: an, cmx, wi, ng_bt3c

Notably wi.

> an and wi are old 802.11b drivers that are no longer relevant.

A lot depends on the hardware, of course.  It's certainly relevant to
my old Dell machine.

> There's no systems that FreeBSD supports that are 16-bit only PC
> Card systems.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "supports".

However: these old machines all have (by modern standards) tiny
memory.  My Dell machine has 256 MB RAM, so modern versions of FreeBSD
just won't run on it.  More to the point, the wi driver has been
broken for years, so clearly nobody cares about it.  I'm in agreement
with removing the support.  If anybody (including myself) really wants
to run this old stuff, they can use an earlier release of FreeBSD.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ