Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 1996 20:58:00 -0400
From:      "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, misc@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc/db/hash hash_buf.c

At 09:31 PM 10/19/96 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>I never *once* made any sort of personal attack.  That was finely done by
>>phk, assumingly representing FreeBSD core.
>
>I will kindly point out some finer points of communication, which
>obviously are unknown to you:
>
>1.  I am a member of the FreeBSD core-team
>
>2.  I state this in my .sig, alongside other pertinent and inpertinent
>    information.
>
>3.  That doesn't imply that I speak for or represent the FreeBSD core
>    in my email.  Just like I don't represent TFS in this email for
>    instance.

Right.

>4.  From the above it is clear that you would have to look at the
>    contents of the email to see if I represent core, a tell tale
>    sign would be "On behalf of..." or similar.

Hmmm. Makes sense.

>5.  These were not present in any of those emails.

Right.

>Get your facts straight, and your assumptions out of the way.

I kinda like the way Jason Thorpe handles Official NetBSD Core vs Jason
messages: He has different .sigs. One is for personal stuff, and looks
like many .sigs on the net (4 lines, phone number, email, full name, etc).

The other .sig says very clearly "NetBSD Core" or something terribly similar.

Avoids the entire attack in the first place.

(leaves .sig in because it's what I'm talking about)
(CCs trimmed, I assume all involved read those two lists.)

--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. \   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM  "Corrected!" -- Old Amiga tips file  \  kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu