Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 11:46:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg)
Cc:        jak@cetlink.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

Mikael Karpberg said:

>   FreeBSD is not a democracy. It's a kingdom with Jordan at the throne, and
>     a group of nobleties around him.

Even though almost everyone in -core respects and generally likes JKH,
note that he is NOT a king.  If there was alot of disagreement with
JKH, he would hear about it, and most likely pipe-down.  JKH handles
alot of the things that the other developers don't want to be bothered
with.  Given that, he deserves a huge amount of respect, and the rest
of core mostly realizes that the coherent and generally reasonable positions
that JKH takes have been working out very nicely.  We would be alot worse
off without him.

JKH is very good at this common-sense thing and what he does, and believe
me, he also doesn't take an autocratic standpoint on things.  Think of
JKH as our spokesperson, and leader because it is a postion that he is
very good at.  IMO, because of that, he has more respect than if he was
a "king" or "autocrat".

DG is in that category also.  The -core organization is NOT a mutual
admiration society, but simply something that works pretty well.  -core
has been pretty much self organizing, almost in an organic fashion.