Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 2014 08:46:16 -0700
From:      aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com>
To:        hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Solarflare LACP bug?

On Apr 17, 2014, at 11:09 AM, hiren panchasara =
<hiren.panchasara@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM, aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I=92ve a Solarflare SFN5162F dual port 10Gb ethernet adapter.
>>=20
>> While the card works fine as individual ports, upon configuring LACP =
the machine suddenly reboots.
>>=20
>> Here are my commands;
>>=20
>> ifconfig sfxge0 up
>> ifconfig sfxge1 up
>> ifconfig lagg0 create
>> * ifconfig lagg0 up laggproto lacp laggport sfxge0 laggport sfxge1 =
10.0.10.99/16
>>=20
>> * This is were the system reboots.
>>=20
>> I believe this to be a bug, what other info can I supply to help =
determine if it is or simply user error?
>=20
> I do not know much about LACP or solarflare but you can start with
> following and someone with more knowledge in that area will help you:

Hi Hiren and many thanks for the reply.

> - FreeBSD version you are using - uname -a

I=92m using both the latest version of FreeBSD 9.2 and 10.

> - ifconfig output

lagg0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu =
9000
=
options=3Dc07ab<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,LRO=
,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
=
capabilities=3Dc07ab<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO=
6,LRO,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
ether 00:0f:53:08:44:7c
inet 10.0.10.99 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 10.0.255.255
nd6 options=3D9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
media: Ethernet autoselect
status: active
supported media:
media autoselect
laggproto lacp lagghash l2,l3,l4
laggport: sfxge1 flags=3D1c<ACTIVE,COLLECTING,DISTRIBUTING>
laggport: sfxge0 flags=3D1c<ACTIVE,COLLECTING,DISTRIBUTING>

> - Any errors you see in /var/log/messages or dmesg.

No errors in logs as the system suddenly dumps and reboots uncleanly.  =
However I=92ll look to enable crash dumps on these particular systems.

> - turn on any debugging knobs available with your card drivers

I=92ll look into enabling that.  I don=92t think any one in tech has the =
luxury of saying =93I don=92t know=94 and instead must say =93I=92ll =
look into that=94 :)

I was first made aware of this issue using FreeNAS and figured to test =
the upstream providers warez so to speak.  The problem persists as I =
expected and do have there crash dumps, just not FreeBSDs crash dumps.

Something about tripping an assert.  I don=92t think FreeNAS can do much =
about it as the problem lies in the FreeBSD Solarflare driver.  Kind of =
kicking myself with going bleeding edge on the NIC but the Solarflare =
sounded soo good on paper.

I would say that if the drivers in FreeBSD were as mature as Intel, then =
Solarflare for the win for sure.  But its all about the drivers.

- aurf

"Janitorial Services"=