Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:47:05 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Nitebirdz <nitebirdz@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Advocacy...

Nitebirdz wrote:

> Difficult to counter.  I agree with the view.  The BSD does not protect
> the community from witnessing a major corporatin virtually hijacking the
> code.  As a matter of fact, nothing stops Microsoft from doing precisely
> that.  I know, I know, some people say that the day that happens we will
> have won.  Wrong.  The day that happens, Microsoft will have a kick ass
> stable, reliable and efficient operating system that they can change to
> their own pleasure without giving back to the community they took it from.

There's always one bad apple in the barrel, and in the software world,
that bad apple is Microsoft. One *good* apple is Apple, who has given
back.

> Agree that is simply stupid.  I mean the "would you please release your
> software under the GPL so that I can use it?" request, because the one
> where you say that "the GPL prevents people from stealing the code" is
> totally true... at least as far as these licenses are legally enforceable.

It's the word "steal" that makes me consider this phrase FUD.
Redistributing binary-only software does not remove the original
software. And there is no copyright infringement. So "steal" is an
inappropriate word.

I wasn't trying to denigrate the GPL or Linux with my previous post. If
that's the impression everyone got, then I'm sorry. I was only trying to
counter what I see as a trend towards belittling the BSD license as
foolish, naive and inferior. This probably wasn't the right forum, so
I'll drop this whole thing right now.

David