Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:34:28 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Discussion about script to update /etc, etc.

> 	Ok, the ports freeze is tomorrow I think, so pardon me for being pushy.
> :) Are you saying that you'd rather not move forward with a solution
> like I've proposed?  That's fine with me if the timetable for getting
> something done about it will be less than two years. :)  I don't mind

I'm saying that the real solution here is to come up with something
that encapsulates *all* the necessary information in a single file and
then generate the "legacy" files from this one (perhaps only as a
short-term thing, eventually phasing out the legacy files after people
are comfortable with the other format).  This would allow you to:

1. Express many things much more efficiently/powerfully than they
   are now - you wouldn't have to have a foo_enable, foo_command,
   foo_flags, etc. variables just to get foo to be customizable at
   startup, you'd simply have one "foo" with various properties
   attached in a more concise and powerful format than simple shell
   variables allow.

2. Separate the idea of "default value" and "changed value" for
   any given item, allowing truly automated merging of the "properties
   database."

3. Get past a number of evil limitations of the current scheme.  Ever
   tried to put in ifconfig values for _multiple_ PCCARD ethernet
   cards, for example?  Can't do it.  How about configuring IPX values
   for an interface?  Can't do it unless you abuse the "alias" mechanism.
   Or how about starting and configuring 3rd party things like upsd?
   You can start them (via /usr/local/etc/rc.d) but you can't set flags
   for them very easily.  The list goes on.

As the author of a number of the temporary bodges we're using right
now (/etc/rc.conf and friends), I can say that they're exactly that -
temporary bodges with numerous limitations.  I was hoping we'd stop
hacking out ever more temporary solutions to the /etc configuration
problem someday and start thinking of something that actually SCALES
worth a damn, but we clearly haven't gotten to that point yet. :)

					Jordan