Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 1995 00:46:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tiggie <kleung@frodi.cs.uop.edu>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   What type of hard drive to buy?

I am new to the FreeBSD area.  I am currently thinking of purchasing a
hard drive to devote completely to FreeBSD.

Will FreeBSD 2.1 be having support for EIDE?  Right now, I can't decide
on what type of hard drive to buy for my system.  Currently my setup is:

	Pentium 90 MHz  (Zeos Pantera system)
	16 megs RAM
	3.5" floppy
	SCSI CD-ROM drive
	528 meg HD (Segate ST5660A)
	81 meg HD (Western Digital WDAC280)
	Sound Blaster Pro card
	14.4 internal modem (Supra)
	Adaptec 1522 SCSI control integrated on motherboard

	** The motherboard has am integrated EIDE controller able to
	   support 4 HDs.

I was thinking about purchasing one of the following:

	Quantum Empire 1080 meg SCSI-2 HD (IMP1080S)
	Quantum Capella 1108 meg SCSI-2 HD (VP32210S)
	Western Digital 1080 meg EIDE HD (WDAC31000)

Would anyone have any ideas on how their performance would be like in the
current version of FreeBSD?  Or opinions of other hard drives that I
should consider purchasing?  (Something in the size of 1 GB to about 1.5 GB.)

Kevin

kleung@uop.cs.uop.edu