Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:44:27 -0400
From:      "Joseph Gleason" <clash@tasam.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Paul" <tribble@tribble.net>
Subject:   Re: AMD MB + I/O address -> /dev/mem byteoffset question

I like the Abit KT7A.  It works well...and the chip on the board that
normally just has a heat sink has a fan as well.

There are 4 3pin fan headers in various places around the board.

All configuration is via bios soft menu rather than jumpers (this can be
good or bad, depending on your outlook and if the board autodetects your
chip correctly).

There are two USB ports in the normal ATX place as well as a header and
internal cable for two more, if you like that sort of thing.

This brings up a somewhat unrealated point.  In the manual it says:
"Hardware monitoring features for temperatures, fans and voltages will
occupy I/O address from 294H to 297H."

Can I access that memory block by reading from a byte offset in /dev/mem?
If so, what offset?  Can someone explain the XXXH notation in terms of
actual memory or point me somewhere that does?

I am intersted in writing a little peice of software that will query these
values.  If I can read the appropriate chunk, I'm sure I can figure out
exactly what byte is what by seeing what values change when I do diffrent
things.