Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 11:20:35 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org, dstenn@fanfic.org, ache@nagual.pp.ru, luoqi@watermarkgroup.com, (Jordan K. Hubbard) <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: SB AWE64 support

On 09-Dec-97 Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> [moved Cc to -multimedia]
>
>> > Try the AWE32 driver from http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/awedrv/,
>> > it supports AWE wavetable synth. Driver in -current only supports FM synth
>> > which sounds really pathetic. Maybe we should commit this new driver, I
>> > have
>> > been running it with -stable for month without any problem.
>>
>> Sounds good to me.  I assume that Amancio and Luigi are still the
>> "point men" on the sound driver these days?
>
> I think -- may be wrong -- that Randall imported the awe support this
> summer, and the relevant bits are probably already in guspnp (thus in
> -current). Then it might well be that by default /dev/synth uses the FM
> synth instead of the wavetable, but that should be trivial to fix.

Before committing this, someone needs to take a look at the memory probe.  I
recently added the 24 meg memory module to my AWE 64, but only the original
512K is detected at startup (which is odd, considering that with the "value"
AWE 64, this original memory is supposed to be disabled/replaced by the
module's memory).

Sfxload will not load the larger (for example, 8 meg GM) sound fonts, either.

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads