Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:45:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        That Guy <thatguy_11@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -newbies

> itself more toward the newer users.  I really don't understand how the
> mission of this listserv could possibly aim towards regular conversation of
> newbies.  If anything, this listserv should be a -remedial version of
> -questions.  Removing this listserv doesn't serve any purpose at all.  At
> least a refocus would do some good.

	It does serve a purpose. The orginal argument for NOT having
-newbies and not having technical questions in it. Say you've been thrown
into the position of admin. for your entire company (because you know
'computers') You inadvertantly ask a question on -newbies, get the wrong
answer, and boom... your company is down, or worst yet lost lots of
valuable data. I have seen at least once something similar... People who
are on -questions may not have time to keep track of -newbies also. Having
just one technical contact for all customers keeps everything in one place
so that those who know what they're doing can help even with the seemingly
'newbie' questions.
	My major problem is that the questions that are being asked in
newbies, are not newbie questions! Asking about setting up a pccard, or
NATD, or DNS, or firewall filters are not in my mind newbie-type
questions. They are intermediate or even advanced topics. Newbies was
meant as a place for newbies to spout off about the latest thing they've
done, or a cool feature they found, or a web site that really helped them,
etc, etc... But when was the last time such a question came across? In the
last year, I believe I've only seen one, maybe two posts that I think are
ontopic for -newbies.

						Rick