Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:41:19 -0000
From:      "CB" <ecliptica.ww@virgin.net>
To:        "Ralph Wallis" <mischief@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4 - ATAPI-CDROM won't mount

Hi Ralph

Thanks for your response. I've tried this with several "known good" CDs:
    A Star Office CD from Sun (which I've installed fine on the MSDOS
partition of my laptop)
    A FreeBSD ver 2.2.7 ports collection CD from Walnut Creek - one I've
been using for years
    The Cheap*Bytes version 4.0 CD which originally installed the system on
the PC in question.

When it's refusing to co-operate, I find that no CD will work in the drive,
and the only way to cure seems to be to rebuild the OS with one of the
versions with which it happens to behave - and make sure the Linux emulator
goes nowhere near it!

I'm due to do a talk/demo on "Free Software and Alternative Operating
Systems" on Friday, and I'd have liked to have got Star Office onto the
FreeBSD box in time for that, so if anyone out there can suggest an easy
fix, it would be most welcome.

Cheers
Charles