Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 17:46:31 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ld-elf.so.1 on 3.2-STABLE breaks yppush

On Thu, 20-May-1999 at 08:32:12 -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> In article <19990518221639.A64601@internal>,
> Andre Albsmeier  <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de> wrote:
> >
> > I am using one NIS master together with two slaves. With the
> > upgrade to 3.2-STABLE, yppush fails when trying to update
> > the maps on the slaves.
> >
> > After suspecting a bug in the NIS system first, it turned
> > out that /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 is the reason for that.
> >
> > When replacing libexec/rtld-elf/rtld.c from 3.2-STABLE
> > with version 1.13.2.7 it works again. Using 1.13.2.8,
> > it breaks again. The cvs comment for the 1.13.2.8 commit
> > says:
> >
> > ------------------- snip ---------------------------
> >
> > 1.13.2.8 Wed Apr 28 1:27:55 1999 UTC by jdp
> > Branch: RELENG_3
> > Diffs to 1.13.2.7
> >
> > MFC 1.21 -> 1.22: Initialize "__progname" and "environ" before
> > calling _init() functions.
> >
> > ------------------- snap ---------------------------
>
> That is very strange!  Could you please try an experiment for me?

Oh yes, it is.

> One at a time, comment out these lines in rtld.c:
>
>     set_program_var("__progname", argv[0] != NULL ? basename(argv[0]) : "");
>     set_program_var("environ", env);
>
> and try to find out which one is causing the problem.

Done, it works if at least _one_ of the two lines is commented out.
Deleting both also works...

I wonder why this just breaks yppush (and only if you have at least
two NIS slaves). I haven't seen any other bad behavior caused by that,
but I have to confirm the yppush thing (after bothering Bill Paul and
searching myself half the night :-).

> And I'll have to issue my usual caution about messing with the
> dynamic linker.  Make a copy of a known good dynamic linker, and
> have it handy in /usr/libexec in case you run into problems.  If you
> break the installed version, it's very handy to have a working one
> all ready to "mv" back into place.  If you lose your dynamic linker,

Yes, I already had a copy of it, thanks anyway.

> then only statically linked programs will run.  (I know you already
> know this Andre.  The caution is for the benefit of others. :-)
>
> Thanks,
> John

	-Andre