Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:34:16 +1100
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: woohoo

all,

hello, i realise that freebsd-alpha is probably not  the right
place to ask, thier never is a right place for me to ask
questionsabout how to make freebsd more usable for disabled
people, that is those more impeared than  the traditional
"disabled, i.e. wheelchair" person.

but as itseems most of teh cutting edge thinking about freebsd
is beingdone here, i feel i might have a chance  to ride the
wave of new development and catch some ideas as a by product.

otherwise, please  accapt my apologies and regrets fro  yet
again wasting your collective time.

i  would ask that you read on, please.

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 08:52:34PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 08:38:12PM -0500, nm wrote:
> > I now have:
> >
> > a stable 24-bit X display...
> > a nice mp3 player (xmms)...
> > a good web browser (netscape)...
>
> Don't forget there is now Acrobat Reader for FreeBSD/Alpha too.  :-)
> (pairs well with Netscape)

this may seem to be a silly question, but to those with poor
eyes, hands, muscle control, erratic hearing, etc .. anyway.

what would be required to run things like netscape and acrobat
reader on a text only version of  the operating  system. i'm
thinking  that a dec alpha would have the horsepower and a
matrox (smeting or other) would have the video punch to pull
this off.

essentially,i'm thinking of havinf  atext baseed commandline
line  oriented operating system interface with the ability
to show pictures and play music, sounds, do voice and so on.
maybe even streaming video but that might be a bit  ambitious.

my reasonsfro this are quite simple, i ama disabled  person who
finds fidling with all guis as frustrating as trying to find a
snowball in side hell. while x11 is not bad it is far far from
being "disabled freindly". i've asked around for a few years
now and most (really) disabled people would like to see  this
sort of  a development.

ny "really disabled" i menat  people with multiple disabilities
that impact on thier eyes, ears hands and feet so thatt hey
cannot easily use normal  screens, keyboards, mice and software
designed around the "traditional" concept of a disabled person,
that is one who cannot walk and is confinded to a wheelchair,
but otherwise has  full and unimpaered usage of thier uper
body, arms  hands etcetc.

your thoughts, brain storming, ideas would be apreciated. if
its not apropriate to clutter up this mailinglist, please feel
free to email me directly, at  the reply-to: header id.

with thanks and warm regards

jonathan