Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2024 21:19:49 +0100 (CET)
From:      henrichhartzer@tuta.io
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
Cc:        Freebsd Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Latest and quarterly best practices

Hi Ronald and all,

Sorry for the wait on this. I didn't mean to stir up any controversy. I thi=
nk the general guidelines are good. I have requested many times that a part=
icular package update be backported into quarterly. I was mainly just hopin=
g to put this out in the open so more people might think about it.

Jan, you are absolutely right about hyprland. I was trying to come up with =
a negative example of why someone might not want to update quarterly right =
away, but it was a bad example indeed.

Thanks for the discussion here. I appreciate all of the replies.

Henrich

Jan 5, 2024, 07:44 by ronald-lists@klop.ws:

> Van:>  henrichhartzer@tuta.io
> Datum:>  4 januari 2024 02:52
> Aan:>  Freebsd Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
> Onderwerp:>  Latest and quarterly best practices
>
>> Hi,
>> =20
>>  I'm not a committer so this shouldn't carry much weight. Just wanted to=
 express my opinion.
>> =20
>>  I think the latest and quarterly setup is a nice and clever one. Unfort=
unately, it seems fairly often that ports that should probably be cherrypic=
ked into quarterly are not. Occasionally, some updates make it into quarter=
ly that don't make clear sense to me, but this is much more rare.
>> =20
>>  I propose that as a rule of thumb, if a package uses Semantic Versionin=
g (semver) and the changes are non-breaking, it should be cherry picked int=
o quarterly. Especially if this is only a patch level change and not a mino=
r, but likely either way.
>> =20
>>  A couple of recent examples that I've seen, which I would like to point=
 out Please note that I am *not* picking on anyone and this is just what I'=
m more familiar with.
>> =20
>>  net-p2p/monero-cli was updated from 0.18.2.2_2 to=C2=A00.18.3.1 on the =
19th of October. Any software that is blockchain related tends to need to b=
e as current as possible for security reasons. Quarterly still has=C2=A00.1=
8.2.2_2 (although 2023Q1 will be cut soon, I assume) which is quite out of =
date now.
>> =20
>>  An opposite case, and this one may be truly a no harm no foul case: x11=
-wm/hyprland was updated from 0.33.1_2 to=C2=A00.34.0, and cherrypicked to =
quarterly. There were a number of changes in this release, and I personally=
 would be hesitant to recommend such a cherrypicking unless there were know=
n issues with 0.33.1 that users had complained about. Otherwise, since it's=
 an offline window manager, it seems like waiting for the quarterly release=
 would make the most sense. Now in this case I don't know the context and c=
herrypicking may have made complete sense -- I'm just using it as an exampl=
e to try and explain my thoughts.
>> =20
>>  Please don't feel at all like I'm being nitpicky. I'm just hoping to co=
ntribute how I can and it seems like the processes around cherrypicking cou=
ld be improved. I love FreeBSD and appreciate the tremendous amount of work=
 that has gone into it. It really is great because of the contributions of =
many I'm just hoping to make it even greater!
>> =20
>>  Thank you for reading, and Happy New Year!
>> =20
>>  Sincerely,
>>  Henrich
>>

> Thanks for your ideas.
>
> There are some guidelines to this.
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/QuarterlyBranch
>
> But it is not a =E2=80=9Cprocess=E2=80=9D as in somebody is responsible f=
or this. It is mostly up to the maintainer of the port to cherry-pick.