Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:53:03 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
Cc:        mattr@eagle.ca, Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Quagga as border router

--==_Exmh_1190393583_67439P

> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:28:30 -0700
> From: Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-net@freebsd.org
>
> * Yuri Lukin <lists@swaggi.com> [070920 16:49] wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 00:24:09 -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote
> > >
> > > Juniper is based on FreeBSD. ;-)
> > >

> > On old code from the 4.x days I think, right?
>
> In the current release, yes.
>
> Would you like a router based on 5.x? :)

I would like to see NOTHING running anything that looked too much like
5.x. And I can't really think the 6.x (while much better that 5) would
be a good choice for a route processor. I really, really hope that
Juniper does update to 7.x in about a year, though.

Routers still tend to run older CPUs in their route engines (and I
don't just mean Juniper), but sooner or later they will start running on
dual-core CPUs as requirements of routing in the increasingly complex
Internet require more from the RE and, when that day arrives, 7.X is
likely to become an urgent requirement. I rather suspect that Alfred is
aware of the issues.

It's also worth noting that, while JunOS is based on 4, it has many
things from newer versions that they (Juniper) retrofitted into the
system.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)