Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 05:33:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paulo Roberto <nirv199@yahoo.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>, Aaron Burke <aburke@nullplusone.com>
Cc:        Paulo Roberto <nirv199@yahoo.com>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel - pentium FDIV bug corrected?

--- Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 10:52:53PM -0700, Aaron Burke wrote:
> > There is a kernel config option that takes care of it. Also, the
> > problem affected more than just the pentium.
> >
> > But check out /sys/i386/conf/LINT for the "NO_F00F_HACK" option.
>
> The F00F bug is not the same as the FDIV bug.  Also the FDIV bug
> affected only the earliest Pentiums (I think it was only the 60 and
> 66
> MHz versions) while the F00F bug affected all Pentiums and
> Pentium/MMX.

Wow. So there is one more bug I was not aware of? Is it also related to
math operations?

I got a few boxes and I am planning in compiling one kernel for all of
them (same sort of hardware). Can I enable this "NO_FOOF_HACK" and use
this kernel with a machine that has a cpu that possibly do not have
this bug?

> One possible workaround could be to use the emulator instead of the
> hardware FPU.  Check the [GPL_]MATH_EMULATE option and the npx device
> in LINT.  Note that this will cause all floating point operations to
> go
> slower so it might not be an acceptable solution.

I will try that.

> If you really have a machine with the FDIV bug, I would actually
> suggest you replace the machine, or at least the CPU.  It can't be
> that
> expensive.

The problem is that it would have to change the cpu in seven machines,
and probably the motherboards as well.

thanks for the help

Paulo Roberto