Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 1995 20:55:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel>
To:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        "Paul F. Werkowski" <pw@snoopy.MV.COM>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/printcap for Deskjet 500 and gs

On Sun, 2 Apr 1995, Gary Palmer wrote:

> In message <199504021429.KAA01040@snoopy.mv.com>, "Paul F. Werkowski" writes:
> >	I just happened to get a DeskJet 540 last weekend and spent
> >	an afternoon trying to get the thing to work. I found buried
> >	in the ghostscript port a file called "unix-pr" along with
> >	some install script that created a bunch of cdj-550.x print
> >	queues and a printcap file that basically turned the Deskjet
> >	into a postscript printer. That, along with a2ps and dvips
> >	seems to be all that one needs to get the job done. It was
> >	simple enough to do but it sure would be nice to have it
> >	automated - or even a good pointer as to where to find the
> >	needed files.
>
> I hate to say it but apsfilter is probably a better bet that gs. AFAIR it
> handles DVI files internally, so you can just lpr foo.dvi and have it print.
> (although it still dvips foo.dvi, (gs -whatever) foo.ps, at least it's hidden
> from you :-) )

Even
	lpr postscript.PS.gz dvi-file.dvi.Z ascii-text.gz picture.gif

is possible with apsfilter.

Thomas Bueschgens reported to me, that Thomas Esser teTeX-0.3
works really good. He wrote a shell script to setup a working
config file for dvips.

When fetching/porting a TeX package, I'd suggest using teTeX.
It has kpathsea and many many fonts ... xdvi ... fonts will
be created as needed ... a cool package !

	Andreas ///