Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 1996 21:05:45 -0400
From:      "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
Cc:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>, Peter da Silva <peter@taronga.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: splash-page on bootup..

At 04:50 PM 10/19/96 -0400, Mark Mayo wrote:
>On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Dan Busarow wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Peter da Silva wrote:
>> > If FreeBSD started putting up a splash page on boot I'd rip that code
>> > out and remove it from the disk. I *hate* the "mystery blue screen"
>> > approach to booting. When Unixware came in and started doing that it
>> > was actually enough to make me start looking elsewhere.
>>
>> But the nice thing about the way Unixware does this is how easy it is
>> to disable.  Just rm or mv the logo file in /stand.
>>
>> One vote for load a splash image if you find it in /stand otherwise
>> show the probes.
>
>I like this idea as well. Simple and easy, for all levels of expertise..
>
>2 votes!

Make that 3 votes.

Where I work we have many different kinds of machine. There are lots of PCs,
and lots of "Unix" boxes.

The attitude at work (at least with the people most near me) is that PCs
should run Windows NT, and HP-PA boxes run Unix. Period.

Then they say things like "We need a way to have faster web servers." when
they just put in a dozen P5-200 64mb machines on the floor (in the MIS
department!).

Anything I can show to them to justify a case for FreeBSD is a big plus.

C'mon, work with me here. Thanks!
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. \   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM  "Corrected!" -- Old Amiga tips file  \  kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu