Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:01:26 -0600
From:      "Jay Austad" <austad@marketwatch.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   setting up ipsec tunnelling routers

Ok, so say I have 2 offices that I want to connect together via an ipsec
tunnel.  I have 2 freebsd boxes, each with an inside and outside
interface, and I've compiled IPSec into the kernels and have it working
fine.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1.  What is the best daemon to use to pass dynamic routes between the
two boxes and into the local networks on each side?  I've found routed,
gated, mrtd, and zebra.  Is anyone using any of these?  MRTD
(http://www.mrtd.org) looks to be the most robust.

2.  Since I will obviously have ip_forwarding turned on, what's the best
way to make sure only traffic coming in and out of the tunnel gets
routed to the internal networks?  I don't want traffic to be able to
come in on the external interface and get routed to the internal
network, which is entirely possible in a datacenter environment when you
share a block of ip's with other people.

Thanks.

Jay Austad
Network Administrator
CBS Marketwatch