Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:23:30 -0500
From:      "Chauncey Smith" <csmith@icdc.com>
To:        "freebsd.org" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Robert C. Blaylock" <robertb@sitespecific.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

I believe that the answer lies into what is asked, and how much homework was
done.
if someone asks "how do I recomplie my kernal". well there is a one page
answer to that in the manual. It goes in to the 5 or 6 things to type to get
it done and over with but not much into editing. If someone says "I edit and
complied my kernel and my xyz doesn't work but the device is in there" well
then you get into trouble shooting and more advance answers. Even if the new
person has trouble with some unix commands like rm -fr folder
that's a really great tool but recursive maybe a word they glance over at
first and not understand and believe they'll get it later ( I speak from
expericence on that one).
Another reson may be lack or resources. If you know something is in a book
and you're just going to retype whats in the book but don't have the book in
front of you. What's easier? We know this is a none paying job as it is. So
hey you go get the book and read what I would have typed. "I don't compile a
kernel everyday I know where the cook book commands are when I need them why
should you be any differnt? if you get the book. The same book I use your
problems are solved."