Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:57:16 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Andrew Wright <ahamiltonwright@mta.ca>
To:        Barnaby Scott <bds@waywood.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wine without X

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Barnaby Scott wrote:

> Can I ask one more possibly really dumb question, to which I can find no
> answer: Is there a 'conventional', or sensible for one reason or another,
> place to download application source to? Presumably you don't want it mixed

Not dumb at all.  There are several conventions.

The one I use is to have a user named "build".

This provides a natural home for these packages (the home directory
of that account) as well as nice management for setting uname,
potential wheel association etc. for an account that is used
for building system libs by executing "su - build" to get that
type of admin process underway.

A.