Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:06:56 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Venting my frustration with FreeBSD

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 18:07, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 December 2006 16:36, John Baldwin wrote:

> > > What sort of 'normal' user has access to that kind of hardware?
> > >
> > > Of course they aren't running a stock kernel or distro, but
> > > neither are a lot of the guys using linux on real-time embedded
> > > hardware. Google doesn't run a stock kernel or distro either, and
> > > Verio and Yahoo don't run stock FreeBSD distributions or kernels
> > > either.
> >
> > I would wager that Yahoo's FreeBSD kernel is a lot more stock than
> > the Altix one for Linux though.  I think the poster's point is that
> > you aren't going to get an OTS OS to run on a 512-way cluster, and
> > that if one had time and hardware one could probably hack FreeBSD
> > up a bunch to run on a 512-way system just as SGI hacked up Linux.
>
> Not to be pedantic, but the 512 way systems I mentioned are SSI boxes,
> not clusters.  Granted I did mention a cluster of SSI boxes....
>
> But yes, your point is taken.  My point is no one has bothered (AFAIK)
> to do the needed work to FBSD.

Yes, but is that due to errors on the part of FreeBSD or is that because some
professor likes Linux better and so he tasked his graduate students to go
hack up a variant of Linux that runs on a 512-way machine?  Scaling on a
512-way machine is quite a different ball of wax from scaling on 4-way, and
scaling up to 32 and 64 is going to be another ball of wax as well.

--
John Baldwin