Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:26:54 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   A sample category

Here is a sample category that I came up with for a newbies' ports
guide. I looked over Annalisa's chapter, and I these are two related but
different ideas. I still don't know about following the ports categories
as is. Some categories might have a dozen good packages to mention,
while others might not have any.

Anyway, here it is, and it's just a rough sample with semi-randomly
chosen apps. Is this too much, too little, just right...

David

----------

Music
-----

   cdplay-0.92
   -----------
   cdplay allows you to play your CD's from a text based interface. This
   means that you can play your favorite albums with a single interface
   regardless of whether you are in console or X11 mode.

   "cdplay is great. I don't have to start up my window manager just to
   hear my music", Fred Foobar

   "I've tried a lot of CD players, but I keep coming back to cdplay. It
   just does what I want", Betty Bogosity

   xmms-1.2.3_1
   The X Multimedia System. This multimedia player handles handles a
   huge variety of sound types from CDs to MP3s to Mods. A wide variety
   of skins and plugins are available.

   http://www.xmms.org

   "xmms rocks!", Jimmy the Jockey

   "I've got a huge collection of MP3s and xmms handles them all for me,
   and it does it in style". Nick the Napster