Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:14:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is Win NT slower than others?

Ben Cohen said:

> Why is Windows NT Server slower than other servers such as FreeBSD?

I know one reason is that if you page on NT, it doesn't choose pages
to page out very well.  It also has excessive system call latencies.
There is a paper from Harvard or Berkeley (I think) that describes some
of the issues, where they compared NetBSD and NT.  For many applications,
NetBSD and FreeBSD aren't different enough that the conclusions about
the relative behavior of NetBSD and NT, would not be the same as
FreeBSD and NT.

> Is there anything in the argument that this could be because Windows NT
> Server is graphical (it uses the Win95 interface) whereas BSD isn't [need
> not be]?

If you run Xwindows on a FreeBSD server, you'll notice only a small decrease
in perf (unless you are memory limited.)

> Is it because of inefficient programming by Microsoft?  (I've read that
> they use basically the same TCP/IP programming as BSD.)

My guess that it is a result of architectural design decisions, and not
because of "programming" prowess.  I wouldn't have done an OS like NT
was done (from what I can see about it's architecture.)  That isn't to
say that my result would have been better though :-).