Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:51:38 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Riccardo Torrini <riccardo@torrini.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Don't remove sc.0 from hints...

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 10:56:17PM +0100, Riccardo Torrini wrote:
> ...or strange things happens.
>
> When trying to discover why /dev/speaker disappears from my last
> build (cvsupped on Feb 14, 20:21 CET) I commented sc.0 lines on
> /boot/device.hints.  Big mistake  :-)
>
> I think some sort of auto-pilot must stop this.  Initial boot
> without sc.0 hint hide all highlight messages, going from

You only need sc.0 if you are running graphic console.
It is not always true and some people are using machines without
graphic cards.
Additionaly some people use vt as an alternative to sc.
How can an auto-pilot know that you need sc?

> Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
>
> directly to login: prompt.  And playing with vi and scroll back
> and forward (on console) lead me to an automatic reboot without
> and message (neither crash nor panic).
>
> I just uncommented sc.0 lines and all go right way, pfiuu  :-)

You can still manualy add them on the loader prompt or switch
to a serial console.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de