Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:50:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The infamous dying daemons bug

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 12:12:14PM -0500, John Fieber wrote:
> > I've now figured out that it must be the infamous dying daemons
> > bug that is biting me, and pretty bad.  Inetd won't run more than
> > a day without falling over.  Sendmail and apache last longer, but
> > not a lot.
> >
> > So, to date, what is known about the bug?
>
> It strike when you run out of memory, usually.
>
> > Are there people running 3.0/Current that have not encountered
> > this bug?
> >
> > Are there any known factors in a system configuration that
> > aggrivate the problem?  More to the point, is there anything
> > known to suppress the problem to any degree?  Some say it was
> > present in 2.2.x, but I never encountered it.
>
> Run with insane amounts of swap.  2GB ought to do the trick.  I'm not
> guaranteeing this will stop the problem, but it will make it _much_
> less frequent.
>
> Eivind, who increased from 128MB to 256MB swap, and had the problem
> almost go away...

David Greenman committed some fixes a couple weeks back which he
speculated *might* have an effect on this.  John, is your stuff newer
than that?  Or any anyone noticed the inetd thing since then?

I can dig up the commit message, if you need it.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).