Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:03:18 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Moused hanging...

>Hi, I've noticed a strange problem with vidcontrol and moused recently
>with current.  I also had the same problem about 3 weeks back, and it
>doesn't seem to be occurring all that regularly.

What type of mouse is it, PS/2, serial, or USB?  Is the power supply
in your system big enough?  Is the mouse's cable and connector look
OK?

>Here's what I was doing:  I had just exited out of X, XFree86 Version
>3.9.17.  I had two sessions of bladeenc going simultaneously (if that even
>matters).  I'm guessing maybe the issue is with the PCI bus being accessed
>by moused and the ATA driver at the same time, since bladeenc does
>generate some disk activity.  Anyway, I heard a `pop' through my speakers,
>and at the same time, moused went dead.

I cannot immediately see why only the mouse suddenly died, while the
rest of the system was healthy,

>I su'd to root, killed and
>restarted moused.

Please try `kill -HUP' to moused next time.  This will make moused
reopen the mouse port.

>I could not get my moused cursor back (tried vidcontrol
>-m off ; vidcontrol -m on a couple of times).

I never heard this before.  When did you make this kernel?
Would you tell me the revision number of /sys/dev/syscons/syscons.c
and /sys/dev/syscons/scmouse.c?

>The only way I could get moused to work again was to
>reboot. (???)  Actually, this is a minor issue, but it is an
>inconvenience, since I have to reboot to get vidcontrol to work
>again.  I'm sure some people have seen this.  The last time this happened,
>my mouse in X stopped responding.  This time, though, no X was running.
>
>As for the cause, I'm sure it is a PCI/ISA bus issue.

I am not sure.

Kazu