Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 07:31:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      User Raymond <raymond@one.com.au>
Subject:   Attempting to install 4.0-RELEASE (more)

To:   freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org

> I am trying to install 4.0-RELEASE on an AlphaStation 200 4/166
> with no joy so far - could someone please offer pointers.
>
> I have tried booting from both CD and floppy - the following is
> some of the information that appears, please advise if any other
> info would help.
>

> Ray Newman
>

> AlphaStation 200 4/166, 166MHz
> CPU: EV4 (21064) major=2 minor=0
> OSF PAL rev: 0x100000002012e
> (probe0:ncr0:0:0:n): MSG_MESSAGE_REJECT received (35:8).
>         for n = 1 to 7 a similar message occurs twice.
>
> Finds, sa0, da0, cd0 and da1 (which is correct)
>
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c
>
> Comes up with the "Probing devices" screen
>
> then:   panic: Going nowhere without my init!

I stuffed about booting kernel.GENERIC from the second CD.
It has the same problem but tells me it's looking for
its root on da0 (where it's not).  I managed to get
this CD booted by telling it cd9660:cd0a is where it's at
but couldn't manage that at the "ok" prompt when
booting from the first CD or floppy.  I tried

        set rootdev cd9660:cd0a

but that didn't help.

Can someone advise as to which srm or loader commands
I can use to convince this that it's root device is
where it actually is?

Ray Newman

BTW: The CD is at DKA0, is this confusing it?