Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 00:22:19 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K.Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
Subject:   Re: desktop, was linus on BSD

Nicole Harrington wrote:

>  Personally IMNSHO,
>  If FreeBSD wants to go after the desktop market I would like to see it split
> into to two different releases. Desktop and server. Why?
>   Everytime I tell people about FreeBSD they say "yea but Linux has more
> drivers for (this cool thing that no one else ever used or came out yesterday)
> and FreeBSD doesn't.
>  Thus, FreeBSD could use the same "here is a driver I wrote while wacked on
> jolt one night for that 1970 Hardrive you can't live without" that Linux has
> without detracting from the "We test everything before we commit or release any
> code into the release branch.

That's my point about the difference between a workstation and a PC.  All we
really need to do to make FreeBSD a great workstation platform is don't
break the IDE driver.  Better installation for modems and printers would
help, too, but those would help servers as well.  There's just not that
much difference.  Who cares if we support every piece of ISA trash on the
market, as long as we support several of the really common pieces well?

>  Also, the GUI features could be enhanced without placing too much code bloat
> into the server code. Plus each could be genericly tuned/optimised to satisfy
> each requirment easier/better.
>
>  I know fractioning things is often bad, but I truly belive this could help
> more than it would hurt.

Given the relatively homogenous nature of the hardware, I don't see any
need to differentiate the two at all.  Let's face it, a FreeBSD work-
station is just a server with IDE drives and a GOOD graphics card.