Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 08:55:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral)
Cc:        saper@system.pl (Marcin Cieslak), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Astonishingly stupid question

> "Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:
> >
> > I would start by searching the mail archives of cvs-commit
> > for /sbin/init and see what you find.  Then look at the
> > sysinstall binary and the PicoBSD stuff.  Next go seek out
> > the developers of these two wounder pieces of work and ask
> > them how they did it :-)
>
> Well, man loader.conf might be faster.

Only if they are running a new enough version of FreeBSD :-)

gndrsh:root {145}# uname -a
FreeBSD gndrsh.aac.dev.com 3.1-STABLE FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE #0: Sat May  1 12:43:29 PDT 1999     root@br2.dnsmgr.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
gndrsh:root {146}# man loader.conf
No manual entry for loader.conf
gndrsh:root {147}#

Also no place in the 3.2 man page for loader.conf to I see anything
that talks about how to cause the kernel to load a differenct /sbin/init.

Remeber he wants to replace init, not the kernel!

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                   rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD