Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:40:20 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ernie Elu <ernie@spooky.eis.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   password authentication

I am looking for a small program that will work with squid2.0 on FreeBSD 3.1
that will enable me to use the authenticate_program directive with MD5
passwords on FreeBSD.

The way the thing is menat to work is you install something like ncsa_auth
then create a password file similar to a .htpasswd file and squid will call
ncsa_auth to authenticate the proxy user. That sucks as everytime I add a
new user I have to add them to the ncsa_auth password file as well.

What I was hoping to find was a small program or perl script that could take
as input a username and password and it would call the appropriate FreeBSD
library routine to check the password against the system password and return
OK or or simialr which I would massage to suit the reponse squid expected.

Any suggestions?

- Ernie.