Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 06:27:08 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, webmaster@www.al.com
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Quality Control (lack of:)

Trevor Johnson writes:
> > > http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/Sep2000/20-e2919.html
> >
> > Can you read that?  I get a thin blue bar on the left of the screen,
> > then a text par about a third of the width, with the text overlapping
> > the blue bar.
>
> It looks okay to me (bsdi-netscape-navigator-4.75, no images nor
> Javascript, and "always use my colors, overriding document" not checked
> (it's buggy)).  I tried loading a couple of images and there was indeed a
> thin, blue bar toward the bottom.

The little blue bar is supposed to have a "Back" button on the far left.

> > There's obviously something missing too:
> >

> >           Davis doesn't know Gates, the chairman of
> >           Microsoft Corp., but she and her husband
> >           gave his company their checking account
> >           number while purchasing a computer in
> >           March. The Huntsville cou"Don't do any
>                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >           automatic withdrawals out of your checking
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >           account with a debit card." Ken Davis of
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >           Huntsville, the victim of a Microsoft billing
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >           error ple received a $400 rebate on their
>             ^^^^^^
>
> Elide the part I've underlined (with "he said" it becomes the penultimate
> paragraph), and the word "couple" will appear.  The remainder makes sense
> to me.

That site does this kind of crap in most every article. Maybe a little
public embarrassment from out of town will help them get their ducks in
order. Then again, they might be full of ex-microsofties and not
understand.

Come to think of it, the above messed up text is exactly the kind of
thing that could happen when one uses a 3rd party MS-Word reader on a
file that has been "quick saved".

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net