Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 23:33:26 -0500
From:      "Bryan J. Smith, E.I." <b.j.smith@ieee.org>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, mark@quickweb.com
Subject:   Re: Microsoft FrontPage server extensions (was: BSDI binary

You have to realize, Bill Gates considers 99% of OSes to be
Windows-based and the other 1% is MacOS so therefore, if it's Windows
and Mac he advertizes it as "Multi-platform."  What an asshole ...

-- BITMAN EI

> To:            John McNamee <jpm@microwiz.com>
> Cc:            freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, mark@quickweb.com
> From:          "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.org>
> Subject:       Re: Microsoft FrontPage server extensions (was: BSDI binary support)
> Date:          Fri, 17 May 1996 19:13:58 +0100

> John McNamee wrote in message ID
> <199605171357.GAA24062@smoke.microwiz.com>:
> > There is a problem with passwords.  The FrontPage fpsrvadm program appears to
> > have DES crypt linked into it (I wonder if Microsoft ever considered the
> > export implications?).
>
> Probably not actually. There is now a lot of pressure in America to
> revoke the crypto code restrictions, and I believe (from memory) that
> one ``Bill Gore'' as made it an Presidential election issue that the
> restrictions be at least lightened to allow 64bit DES to be exported,
> if not totally banished.
>
> Also, they may actually just export the code that uses the DES library
> and use one of the internationally safe ones (like we basically do).
>
> > By the way, I hear that Microsoft DOES NOT plan to release a Linux version of
> > the FrontPage extensions.  ISP's using Linux for their web servers won't be
> > able to support customers with FrontPage.  I expect FrontPage to become very
> > popular with end-users who want to do their own web pages.  It's a good
> > application at an attractive price, and of course it has Microsoft behind it.
> > We might see some Linux-based ISP's switching to FreeBSD because of this.
>
> Nice to hear :-)
>
> Gary
> --
> Gary Palmer                                          FreeBSD Core Team Member
> FreeBSD: Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info

"I am Pentium of Borg.  Precision is futile, you will be
approximated." -- Stan "The Man" Buchanan, Jr.

BRYAN J. SMITH, E.I.                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Systems Engineer          http://www.sundial.net/~bjsmith/
- WAN Engineer, Hard Rock Cafe International
- NSPE/FLBPR Certified Engineering Intern (E.I.)
- IEEE Central FL Branch Secretary
1006 Teague Court                    Home:  (407) 366-4620
Oviedo, FL  32765-7002                 or:  (407) 365-4693