Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:45:14 +0100
From:      Joe Holden <lists@rewt.org.uk>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ubiquity Edgemax ?

Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Has anyone already tried freebsd on the
>
> http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax
>
> The device can be opened (loosening two screws at the bottom)
> and inside there's an USB port which contains some 2GB flash stick.
> Very convenient to tinker around with it. It also has a serial console port.
>
> The linux dmesg:
>
> http://opsec.eu/backup/edgemax-linux-dmesg
>
> It seems to contain an Octeon and the price (approx. 120 EUR)
> is attractive to tinker with it.
>
> The linux /sys files:
>
> http://opsec.eu/backup/edgemax-sys-files
>
> I'm not familiar with the MIPS port -- is there some .img repository
> somewhere so that I can try to boot it ?
>
> Has anyone tried the edgemax with an image generated from
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/mkoctimage
>
> The image from 2011 from
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/freebsd-octeon-image-1g.xz
>
> looks a bit old ? I'll experiment with that one for now.
>
> Thanks!

There aren't any prebuilt images, you'll need to build one yourself and
install it by whichever method is easiest for you, I started by
cross-building a kernel and rootfs for nfs boot, then set it up from
there...

The flash is actually 4G, theres an unused ~1.5G section at the end of
the flash so you don't need to blow away the edgeos install to boot FreeBSD.