Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 1995 13:02:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      David Poole <davep@extendsys.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARP'ing (Discovery of IP Interfaces on a subnet)

> > I've looked at a DHCP implementation to help solve this problem, but until I can
> > round up a Non-NT DHCP server (is there a "Free" one?) I'm in a jam.  Bootp
> > isn't an option because most of the boxes we're running don't have a bootp
> > client capability.

  FTP Software has a WinSock DHCP server for ~$100.  You do have to be
running their PC/TCP OnNet WinSock stack for it to work, though.  We've
done some testing with it and found it mildly flakey but it works.

  FTP Software sales: 800-282-4387

  There's also the WIDE DHCP server & client implementation.  It's source
for a DHCP server and client.  I got the client to compile, but ran into
some problems with the server.  (My FreeBSD is down while I try to get
2.0.5R to install so I haven't done much else with WIDE.)

(From the DHCP FAQ)
   950630 WIDE Project:
    Akihiro Tominaga (tomy@sfc.wide.ad.jp)
    WIDE Project
    Keio Univ.
    Japan
    ftp://sh.wide.ad.jp/WIDE/free-ware/dhcp/dhcp-1.2.1.tar.gz
    Check Archie for dhcp-1.2.1 because lots of sites distribute it.

David Poole                       Networking under Dos is like
davep@extendsys.com               adding a fifth leg to a cow.
Extended Systems, Inc.                      -me