Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2024 23:33:27 +0000
From:      Pat <cli_junkie@protonmail.com>
To:        Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A few questions about using Poudriere

On Thursday, February 15th, 2024 at 12:15, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks=
.at> wrote:

>=20
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2024, at 01:57, Pat wrote:
>=20
> > Hello, and please let me know if this is not the best place to ask some
> > questions about Poudriere.
>=20
>=20
> Welcome and it=E2=80=99s a fine choice of list

Thank you, and thank you for letting me know

>=20
> > I am learning about Pouderiere, and started with what I thought would b=
e a
> > simple package. But I have run into something somewhat surprising. I ra=
n:
> >=20
> > poudriere options -j 01amd64 -p default ftp/curl
>=20
> > expecting to have to configure a few options for curl and be done.
>=20
>=20
> try adding =E2=80=98-cn=E2=80=99 options, it will not descend recursively

That makes a tremendous difference. I did see those options, but just did
not put things together.

>=20
> > BTW, I did see in POUDRIERE(8) this hint:
> >=20
> > As a starter, you may want to copy an existing /var/db/ports/ to
> > /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/options.
> >=20
> > but that was afterwards. Would that have saved me some of this work?
>=20
>=20
> This helps if you=E2=80=99ve been using =E2=80=98make config=E2=80=99 wit=
h a local ports tree already instead of via poudriere

Ah, good to know.

>=20
> > Finally, if I now build curl, is it really going to build 192 additiona=
> > packages? That seems awful heavy for something that is supposed to be
> > a simple tool for transferring data.
>=20
>=20
> Probably not, but curl has a surprisingly large amount of optional depend=
encies.

OK, that makes sense. For some reason optional did not cross my mind, but
throwing that in does clear things up. It did not build 192 packages, but
did build 40.

>=20
>=20
> A+
> Dave

Appreciate the time you took to respond, and things are a lot clearer now.

Pat

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?f348pkQ1hxmPoc0ap18cu0qKZx6tAutfCa_Xo_EmqRLcey9SvlWmqmL74a8hZhLcTUrzySYO1-DiMDkMGA0UpL6sHTxaiixdn5DOxe7_5yY=>