Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:17:42 -0500
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
To:        freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the abi

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 10:47:25AM -0600, Dwayne Grant McConnell wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 08:21:27PM -0500, David Edelsohn wrote:
> > The purpose of the PowerPC effort [at least mine] is not to complete with
> > Darwin and run on Mac's, but to provide a platform for PowerPC embedded
> > development.  Those that push JKH and others hard for a PowerPC port want
> > it for use in the embedded market.  The G4 would just be the reference
> > and development box -- but not the main use and target.
> >
> > I am not sure anyone will take the PowerPC port and polish it for desktop
> > or server use.
>
> So the only FreeBSD PowerPC port in progress right now is for embedded?
> Or are there multiple efforts ongoing? If a desktop/server port is in
> progress or occurs in the future would it also use the same ABI or a
> different one?

I believe that the current port in progress is intended for use on
embedded systems, but that the reference platform is the powermac G4.
So well it will likely be used for embedded work, it will most likely
be possible to make use of it in a desktop/server capacity.  I imagine
that more drivers would have to be written to make it really useful, but
once the initial port is completed that should be considerably easier.

Of course I'm not one of the people doing the actual work, so all of
this is just what I've gleaned from lurking on the mailing lists.

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                           my pid is inigo montoya.
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net             you kill -9 my parent process.