Date:      Thu, 07 Nov 2002 12:34:23 -0800
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using a laptop as a main machine

bakul@bitblocks.com said:
>So some questions for people who mainly use a laptop and lug it around
>everywhere: what features do you find most useful?

1. A battery that lasts a reasonable length of time.  My ThinkPad
   X21 battery lasts almost as long as the spec says.  My late NEC's
   battery only lasted about half as long as expected (which is to
   say it lasted only about a quarter the time specified).

2. All rechargable batteries rot, but they should rot slowly, and
   newly manufactured ones should be available.  The final straw
   that sent my NEC to the network in the sky was the only
   replacement batteries I could buy when one rotted were
   batteries that had themselves rotted in inventory.

3. Wireless networking support for whatever system you might have
   available.  We have 802.11b and my X21's PCCard slot lets me use
   an Orinoco card.

4. If you want to leave your laptop on all the time, then you need a
   good APM BIOS.  My ThinkPad is a little disappointing in this
   regard.  It does suspend well, but standby wedges it, and cron
   jobs suffer from severe slowdowns that I think have to do with
   CPU Idle processing.  I would love to be able to bracket my cron
   scripts with apm commands to go fast for the duration.

Warts and all, I count my switch to exclusive laptop use several months ago to
be a success.  Good luck on yours.
--
M/S 258-5                     | 1024-bit PGP fingerprint: | tweten@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center     |  41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59 |      (650) 604-4416