Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 02:57:00 +0200 (EET)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        Leonard Chua <lenc@earth.infinetconsulting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 56K vs X2?

From: Leonard Chua <lenc@earth.infinetconsulting.com>
   I think when I quoted that salesblurp from the Livingston rep, I should
   have included the last part, which basically said that USR will only
   license their X2 for modem manufacturers, and not manufacturers of
   products of the other end of the line - i.e. the Dialup Access
   Servers/Hubs/Concentrators(/whatever else vendors like to call them).
   So unless their policy changes, the PortMaster3s will not get X2 upgrades
   (but rather rockwell 56k instead). This poses some worry.

I just today got mail from Livingston distributor and they promise to
support both, and have agreement with USR to do that.  Am I falling into a
marketing trap ?

I would appreciate comments on experiences with Ascend MAX4k, Cisco 5200,
PM3, and possible other solutions (not separate modems and other wirechaos
systems, we already have one).  Anyone using PM3, it seems to be the most
affordable solution, but least common here in Europe and a fresh product
compared to Ascend ?

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND, hsu@clinet.fi
mobile +358-40-5519679 work +358-9-43542270 fax -4555276