Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2007 19:53:49 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Lars Engels <lme@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Mobile ML <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Management of Thermal

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:16:01 +0200
Lars Engels <lme@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> your temperature values are a little bit too high. On my Notebook
> (model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz) the CPU is =20
> at between 50=B0C - 60=B0C when I use normal desktop applications and up =
=20
> to 80=B0C when I compile something.
> You could open your case and look if there's dust in the airflow so =20
> the fans cannot blow out all the hot air.
> I only use the powerd with "-a adaptive -b adaptive" flags. There =20
> should be no need for the cpufreq module.

Hi Lars,
right. when doing nothing, or hardly anything, it sits around 70 or so. dow=
n to 40/50 if I'm on the train... so it does seem to work, just not when fu=
lly powered.

What I haven't configured at all is  powerd (so it's using the defaults)...=
I've been wondering how all the components that I listed before interact wi=
th each other...for example, i don't want my CPU to be eating cycles (and p=
ower) @ 2 GHz when I'm doing nothing.

I'll try your suggestions (kill cpufreq,tweak powerd to see how it goes ).=
=20

BTW, how does one use/enable/configure speedstep features?

my CPU is=20

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.00GHz (1995.01-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin =3D "GenuineIntel"  Id =3D 0x6d8  Stepping =3D 8
  Features=3D0xafe9fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PG=
E,MCA,CMOV,PAT,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,TM,PBE>
  Features2=3D0x180<EST,TM2>

thx :)
_________________________
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest=
 political end...=20
liberty is the only object which benefits all alike, and provokes no sincer=
e opposition...=20
The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to to govern. Every clas=
s is unfit to govern...=20
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
   Lord Acton

I speak for myself, not my employer. Contents may be hot. Slippery when wet=
. Reading disclaimers makes you go blind. Writing them is worse. You have b=
een Warned.