Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:32:32 +0900
From:      SHUDO Kazuyuki <shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TowerJ for FreeBSD

> > > Yep, this is where FreeBSD (and less so Linux) got the crap kicked out
> > > of it.  Linux is a bit better than ours for a couple of reaasons.
>
> > > 2) Our 'Green Threads' implementation uses locking that is not as
> > >    effecient as the Linux version.  In particular, Linux kernel's have
> > >    poll built in, and we emulate it (badly, but effectively) with some
> > >    hacks to use select.

As above, Nate said that Linux kernels have poll built
in so why Linux 'Green Threads' implementation is a bit
better than FreeBSD one. This is incorrect. because,

> > JDK 1.1.7 for Linux/glibc use poll() and not
> > select(). But glibc 2.0.7 which is used on most linux
> > box replaces calls to poll with calls to select since
> > Linux kernel prior to 2.1.23 doesn't have poll().

JDK on most Linux boxes don't make use of poll(). A
system call poll() isn't used by JDK with glibc 2.0.X
even if the Linux kernel has it. Poll() is being
emulated also on Linux boxes.

> > If we'd like to use poll() of Linux kernel, we have to
> > use glibc 2.1 version is currently developed.
>
>   Why?  What does glibc have to do with anything?  FreeBSD doesn't use
> glibc.  FreeBSD 3.0 already has poll()

Sorry for my misleading sentence.
Of course, we have not to use glibc on FreeBSD.
I should have to say, if we'd like to use poll *on*
Linux, we have to...

Kazuyuki SHUDO				Happy Hacking!
  Muraoka Lab., School of Sci. Eng., Waseda Univ.