Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:08:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      NGH <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

Hi,

I agree with the folks who say that big companies are all for
this legislation. It's very convenient for the
already-established business because it would effectively end
competition from anybody who cannot afford the licensing fees
and certification that will most likely be necessary.

These fees, etc. are effectively a tax on electronics and
software! The existing "tweaks" to copyright, along with SSSCA
and existing laws, are a serious abuse of the system. I don't
doubt for one moment that Congress will pass this defective
thing.

At the very least, we should mail letters to editors of any
electronics, software and manufacturing magazine and
explaining why this is bad. It might be helpful to send
letters to companies or individuals you know that would be
hurt by SSSCA. Finally, sending mail to the companies pushing
this defect, telling them what an outrage this is, would have
a small effect but couldn't hurt.

If this passes, we, the individuals and small businesses, will
suffer extraordinary consequences while greedy corporations
continue to squeeze every penny they can. Although old devices
and software will be legal, it's only a matter of time until
that old hardware breaks down or the software becomes
obsolete. It will be very expensive to fight this once it
passes, and would require lawyers and probably millions upon
millions of dollars. Civil disobedience would be the only
way--that is, reverse-engineering (and spreading of that
information) and/or modifying the hardware, but they have that
covered: SSSCA will make it a felony to "traffic in" or sell
any device without the builtin "policeware" as some have
called it, and existing laws make circumvention devices very
illegal as well.

I think I'll write some letters and post them here for review
before mailing anything.

-Nathan