Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:47:06 -0500
From:      Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To:        d@delphij.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS pool upgrade to v14 broke ZFS booting

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net> wrote:
> On 2010/01/27 11:18, Paul Mather wrote:

>> I have a FreeBSD guest running under VirtualBox 3.1.2 on Mac OS X. =A0It=
's running a recent 8-STABLE and is a ZFS-only install booting via gptzfsbo=
ot. =A0I use this VirtualBox guest as a test install.

>> A day or so ago I noticed "zpool status" report that my pool could be up=
graded from v13 to v14. =A0I did this, via "zfs upgrade -a".

>> Today, when attempting to fire up this FreeBSD guest in VirtualBox I get=
 this on the console:

>> ZFS: unsupported ZFS version 14 (should be 13)
>> No ZFS pools located, can't boot

> There is no on-disk format change that affects ZFS boot itself, but you
> will need to install new gptzfsboot. =A0If you have another system and
> have the file, you can do it by booting from the LiveFS Disc, fetch it
> from network, and use gpart to install it.

Since this is so fatal, you might want to give them the option to
continue here.  I suspect that zpool format changes that truly break
the boot loader (which is read-only at any rate) are uncommon where
the chances of ending up in this situation (with an unbootable
machine) are much more common.