Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 20:29:27 -0700
From:      Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail or namedb configurations....

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 06:49:20PM -0700, Gregory Neil Shapiro wrote:
> kline> Before I put my other hosts behind my firewall, and on my private
> kline> 10.* network,  I'm trying with an existing host, zen.
>
> kline> (Deferred: Operation timed out with zen.thought.org.)
> kline> <jqs@zen.thought.org>
>
> kline> in mailq.   "jqs" is a unique user, only on zen.
>
> Look at the output of:
>
> /usr/sbin/sendmail -qRzen.thought.org -v
>
> I'm going to assume it hangs on trying to connect to zen.  Try:
>
> telnet zen.thought.org 25
>
> That should hang as well.  This sounds like a network connectivity issue,
> not a mail or DNS issue.  Things to check:
>
> - Routing (netstat -rn output, traceroute output)
> - Firewall (log denied packets and look at the logs)
> - NAT misconfiguration

	With any luck, I've solved the problem.  NS1/sage and tao
	are on different netsworks, so I'm only testing connectivity
	thru sage <-> zen.

	It was both an issue within my /etc/namedb/s/* files, as well
	as my sendmail files in /etc/mail on both systems.  I needed to
	list NS1.thought.org as my ^DS[smarthost] verywhere, then set up
	my virtusertable/.db file on   NS1.thought.org.

	I made notes immediately as something started working; and have
	been refining as I learn more.  This has been almost entirely
	a roll-my-own situation.  ---Well, sendmail.org gave me a couple
	of clues.

	Over time this may be one for the Answerman column next year.
	And/or here on http://answerman.though.org, a virtual site not
	yet gone live.

	Nutshell: anyone can have his own private network working
	with complete connectivity.

	gary

p3 19:10 <sage> [1007] !!
telnet zen 25
Trying 10.0.0.249...
Connected to zen.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 zen.thought.org ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6/8.11.6; Mon, 17 Jun 2002 02:12:46
GMT
helo 10.249
250 zen.thought.org Hello sage [10.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
quit
221 2.0.0 zen.thought.org closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
p3 19:13 <sage> [1008]

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix